Students have similar career development needs, whether they opt for a post-secondary school or jump right into the world of work: They need to be prepared for the workplace and for finding a career that makes use of their interests, aptitudes, and skills.
Preparing for Career Success (for grades 10-12) provides students with the most
current career information and thoroughly covers a variety of social issues
affecting today's workers and the workplace, including tech-prep, ethics in
the workplace, sexual harassment, and the complex set of problem-solving skills
needed to successfully handle the challenges facing two-wage-earner families.
The Student Edition
- Learning Objectives: The first page of each chapter includes a list
of expected learner outcomes. Each chapter lists and defines vocabulary terms,
and also has a review section with content questions and a vocabulary matching
- Get Involved: Activities that reinforce the content of each major
section by having students actively think and write about what they have
- Take Note: Interesting sidebars that provide information on related
topics or highlight important points related to the chapter.
- Find Out More: These established organizations, reliable Web sites,
and comprehensive reference materials are good places for students to start
exploring topics in depth.
- Key to Success: Tips that will help students avoid common workplace
issues and reach their potential.
- Career Fact: Statistics from government data and surveys illustrate
key points in the chapter.
- Cluster Links: Connect chapters to the information on the U.S. Dept.
of Educations career clusters, which are dealt with in the appendix.
- Quotes: Inspirational and relevant quotes placed throughout the text
to engage students' interest.
- Develop SCANS Competencies:
Activities that strengthen transferable skills and personal qualities employers
look for, based on the Department of Labor's SCANS report.
All case studies relate to the topic in the chapter where
they are presented. Students must decide how to handle the real-life situations
described in realistic scenarios by answering critical thinking questions at the
end of each case study. The following themes are stressed:
- Planning Makes a Difference: Stresses the importance of personal and
- Being Responsible: Emphasizes the importance of personal
- Building Character: Defining the person you are, and choosing to
become by clarifying attributes and characteristics of behavior.
- Solving the Problem: Presents a scenario requiring students to use
problem solving techniques.
- Life Skills: Illustrates the importance of everyday life tasks such
as money management, being a consumer, work and the family, health skills and
- Sound career development theory
- Engaging learning activities that help students meet their career goals
- Expanded information on the 16 U.S. Department of Education career clusters
- Supplements that are closely integrated with the textbook
- Practical strategies for all phases of a career, from setting goals and interviewing for
jobs to asking for a raise
Table of Contents
Unit 1: Getting Ready for the World of Work
1. Preparing for Life’s Many Tasks
2. Knowing Yourself: Interests and Aptitudes
3. Knowing Yourself: Values and Goals
4. Problem Solving: Making Choices
5. Researching and Understanding Career Information
6. Looking Ahead: Education and Training
Unit 2: Finding a Job and Achieving Success
7. Expressing Yourself: Effective Communication
8. Conducting the Job Search
9. Applying and Interviewing for a Job
10. Taking Responsibility for Your Job Success
11. Making Progress on the Job
Unit 3: Understanding the World of Work
12. Defining Roles, Rights, and Responsibilities
13. Managing Career Change and Growth
14. Adapting to a Changing Workplace
15. Connecting Economics and Work
16. Starting a Business
Unit 4: Living on Your Own
17. Managing Your Income
18. Being a Wise Consumer
19. Achieving Wellness
20. Accepting Civic Responsibility
21. Balancing Your Career and Your Life
Appendix: An Overview of the U.S. Department of Education Career Clusters
|Text (hardcover) ||978-1-59357-545-8
|Annotated Teacher's Edition ||978-1-59357-546-5
|Interactive Lesson Planner Plus Instructor's Resources on CD-ROM ||978-1-59357-573-1
|Student Portfolio (Pkg of 10) ||978-1-59357-575-5
|Career Cluster Discovery Guide ||978-1-59357-587-8
|Video Tour on DVD ||978-1-59357-574-8
|Student Activity Book ||978-1-59357-577-9
|Student Interest Inventory (Pkg of 10) ||978-1-59357-576-2
|EXAMVIEW® Test Generator CD ||978-1-59357-588-5