1. In what year is the beginning of the play set?
2. What makes Mr. Frank lose control?
3. What does Miep give to Mr. Frank? What does he tell her to do with them? What catches his attention?
4. What happened to the Jews after the arrival of the Germans? What step does Anne's family take?
5. Why is Mrs. Van Daan nervous?
6. Why are the Franks late?
7. What does Anne do as soon as she is in her new home?
8. What does Mr. Kraler say to reassure Mrs. Frank? In what way does the white market differ from the black market?
9. What rules are essential to keeping the hiding place a secret?
10. What can they do after six o'clock?
11. Why has Mr. Frank invited the Van Daans to hide with them?
12. What did Anne have to leave behind?
13. What difference between Anne and Peter is shown here?
14. How did the Franks leave their house? What do they expect people to think?
15. What does Mr. Frank do when Anne goes in search of a pencil? What realization does Anne have?
16. In what way does Mr. Frank say they cannot be imprisoned? What will they do to remain "free"?
17. What activities does Anne miss? What is the most frightening thing to her? Why?
18. What advice does Mrs. Frank give Anne? What is Anne's reaction?
19. What sound frightens the families? What do they fear is happening?
20. Why was Anne called Mrs. Quack Quack?
21. What does Mr. Frank suggest is the problem when Mrs. Frank thinks Anne is sick?
22. Why is Mrs. Van Daan so concerned with her fur coat?
23. What question does Anne ask Mrs. Van Daan? Why is Mrs. Frank displeased by the question? Does Mrs. Van Daan mind Anne's question?
24. Why does Mr. Van Daan think his wife shouldn't say certain things in front of Anne?
25. How do Mrs. Frank and Margot react to the quarrel between Mr. and Mrs. Van Daan? What does Anne do?
26. What does Anne do accidentally? What is Mrs. Van Daan's reaction?
27. What does Mrs. Frank tell Anne she must not do?
28. How does Mrs. Frank feel about Mr. Frank's decision to ask the Van Daans to stay with them?
29. Why has Mr. Kraler come?
30. Does Mr. Van Daan want to allow Mr. Dussel to join them? How does Peter feel about his father's reaction?
31. What kind of man is Mr. Dussel?
32. Where did Dussel think the Franks were? Why did he think this to be true?
33. What news does Dussel bring of the outside world?
34. What does Anne like about her room?
35. Why do Anne and Dussel argue? What does Anne say about grownups?
36. What is Anne's nightmare about? What does Dussel fear?
37. Describe the relationship between Anne and her mother. How does Mrs. Frank feel about Anne's attitude toward her?
38. What thoughts does Anne have about building her own character?
39. What does each person want to do when he or she gets out of the secret annex?
40. What are some of the group's favorite Hanukkah traditions?
41. What has Anne done for Hanukkah?
42. What gift does Anne give to her mother? How does her mother react?
43. Why doesn't Mr. Frank think they should sing the Hanukkah song?
44. What sound is heard below? What happens in the fear following the sound?
45. Why does Mr. Frank insist on going downstairs?