1. How do the Cyclopes lives differ from those of civilized people?
2. What force helps the Greeks reach a safe harbor?
3. Where do the Greeks spend the night?
4. What does Dawn do?
5. Notice that the description in line 68 is similar to the one in line 50. Why might a poet who composed his work orally use stock phrases, or formulas, again and again?
6. To what is the Cyclops compared?
7. What does Odysseus bring along to offer to the Cyclops?
8. What mistake does Odysseus make? What is foreshadowed, or hinted at, in these lines?
9. How strong is the Cyclops? How do you know?
10. Why doesnt Odysseus tell the Cyclops the truth?
11. How large would you estimate the Cyclops to be?
12. To what is the Cyclops compared?
13. Why cant Odysseus kill the Cyclops?
14. How big is the Cyclopss club or staff? What does Odysseus do with it?
15. What does Odysseus plan to do with the stake?
16. What gift does the Cyclops offer to Odysseus in exchange for the drink?
17. What parts of the description of the Cyclops show him to be monstrous and revolting?
18. What do Odysseus and his companions do to the Cyclops?
19. Why do you think Odysseus told the Cyclops that his name is Nohbdy? What mistake is made by the other Cyclopes when they hear this name?
20. What is Odysseuss plan?
21. What do the Greeks do with the Cyclopss sheep?
22. How has the Cyclops paid for not honoring his guests?
23. What happens as a result of Odysseuss taunts?
24. Who is Polyphemoss father?
25. As it turns out, it takes Odysseus ten years to get back home. Why might this be so?
26. What offering does Odysseus make to Zeus? Is his offering successful?
27. Why are Odysseus and his companions sad despite the fact that they have escaped with their lives?
28. Of what has Circe warned Odysseus?
29. What does Odysseus ask his men to do? Why doesnt he want to be free to move when he hears the Sirens song?
30. Why does Odysseus stop the ears of the sailors with wax?
31. How does Odysseus try to communicate with his crew? Why do they ignore him?