1. What is about to happen to the man?
2. What is Death? How should Death be received?
3. What does the man who is about to be hanged look like? What do his clothes reveal about him? What aspect of his appearance is surprising?
4. What sound did the man seem to hear? What effect did the sound have on him? What was he actually hearing?
5. What was the man unable to do? What did he long to do?
6. What does Farquhar have in mind?
7. Who is the soldier in the gray uniform? What is the importance of the revelation of his identity?
8. What thought does Farquhar have as he rises to the surface of the water?
9. In what state are Farquhar's senses? What sensory details does he notice?
10. What does Farquhar notice about the marksman? What does he fear this means? Is the superstition he had heard true?
11. What sound does Farquhar hear? What does he take it to mean?
12. What causes Farquhar's delight and contentment?
13. What description is given of Farquhar? What image does this description bring to mind?
14. What is revealed in the last paragraph about Farquhar's actions?